Limiting the level of humidity in your home is the only certain method of preventing mold from growing indoors. The CDC recommends that the humidity level be set at no higher than 50% all day to prevent the growth of mold. Taking the following steps can help you to keep the humidity down and enjoy a mold-free living or working space.
- Address drainage problems. If there is a chronic moisture problem in your home due to a foundational or leak or some other reason, seek a permanent solution to avoid any future complications.
- Ventilate. Proper ventilation will remove moist air from your living space. Use exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom and vent your clothes dryer outside of the structure.
- Fix leaks. Many maintenance problems can result in hidden moist areas where mold can thrive. Promptly fix leaky pipes, roofs, and windows where there’s bound to be excess moisture if a leak occurs.
Clean and dry after flooding. Thoroughly clean and dry the floor of your home if you experience a flood.
- Remove carpet. Carpets can soak up and trap moisture from the air, and spills can provide a moist habitat for the growth of mold. Hard floors are much easier to keep dry.
- Use helpful appliances. An air conditioner or dehumidifier will help to keep the humidity levels low, and indoor fans circulate the air, helping to evaporate the moisture. Clean your air conditioner regularly and change your air filters.
- Use anti-mold products. Get paint that includes mold inhibitors and use cleaning products that kill molds. Using vinegar in your cleaning spray helps to prevent future growth.
Ridding your home or work space of mold can be difficult and should be left to a licensed mold professional. If at all possible, take action now to prevent any future growth of indoor mold and protect your health.
If are concerned about mold in your home or business, don’t take any chances. Your health and safety could be at stake. Call the mold experts at AusTex Environmental Solutions today so we can inspect, test, and advise you on your mold problems. Our residential and commercial mold solutions are designed to help keep you safe.